Thursday, April 4, 2013

Train Up Your Children.......


We homeschooled all of our children, they are now 28, 26 and 23.  Our oldest son lives on his own but the two youngest are still home with us.
Our homeschooling style was anything but 'school' like, our kids had attended a local independence school so they knew how it worked and we wanted to completely de-school, so we did!  Our style was to learn together and read, read, read..yep, we read everything we could get our hands on and still do.  I believe that a love of reading makes life so much richer, I love getting lost in a book!
All three of them can do the basics of everyday living, they know how to clean, do laundry, and many other household musts.  They also can cook, bake and all of them can make bread from scratch and follow a recipe very well.  Having said that, our boys do not love to cook or bake but what's important is that if they need to they can.

This week has been a headache week for me, this is Thursday evening and I have had this headache since Monday morning.  I've had a few hours of being almost pain free but it just seems to come back.  Since I have been incapacitated Christopher and Katie have taken over everything, so things are getting done actually quicker and better than if I was doing them!  They don't believe in leaving things undone and I'm a bit of a procrastinator, much to my frustration.

So, because our children we trained at home and in the Word of God, they have a servants' heart, oh how I've appreciated that this week! 
Don't just teach your children, make sure you train their hearts, being ready and able to serve is such an important things for Christians, not just us children but us too!  

No comments: