Friday, March 23, 2012

Back to the Basics: Coconut Oil


I'm not sure my post is about getting back to the basics as much as it is using products from nature.  I doubt my grandmother had coconut oil to use in the early 1900's, of course she made due with what she did have available.  We, on the other hand, have the world at our fingertips with the internet and it wondrous ability to bring items from far, far away right to our door.
I've recently been introduced to the wonders of organic coconut oil, first through the West ladies at Homestead Blessings and then through the circle of blogs I love to scour for homesteading ways and ideas.
When I had a cold a couple of weeks ago I had the usual week of blowing my nose and chapped lips that go along with the cold.  Well, I didn't have any form of chapstick so I got a small container and put some coconut oil in it.  As needed, I just put a bit on my finger and rubbed it over my sore nose and hurting lips, instant soothing!  Of course after the cold was over I threw the small container and leftover oil away, but it was certainly the perfect cure.  I love learning all these new ways to use coconut oil and especially because there are no 'odd' ingredients.
God's earth has everything we need without all the man made extras, industries might be necessary but I wonder if it's worth the damage that's being done to the earth. 

No comments: