Thursday, December 17, 2009

Simple Christmas Gift Ideas



This year we lost my father-in-love back in June, it was sudden and I'm sure most of us have not even dealt with it completely just yet.  I think this is part of the reason that we're really simplifying Christmas this year, maybe I should say we're putting the focus where it should be, on Christ.
I wanted to make some things for gifts very frugally but with the remembrance of Dad for all of the family, these are the ideas I used.
First of all, he was in WWII so it was a full military funeral, actually he also had been fire chief years ago so they also did the 'last call' at the end of the funeral, this was the most touching thing I've ever experienced, amazing.  After the service the fellow veterans came over with a bag that had all the spent shells from the 21 gun salute, we decided to make some keychains with these.  We were able to send a few in Christmas cards to some of the fellows in the family that couldn't make it up for the funeral.   



Also, I dried all of the flowers from the funeral and scattered them with some other potpourri and we're making some little sachets with these for the ladies, just something with for a little remembrance of dad and all that transpired.  It may sound like it's just bringing up sad times but the sadness will be there anyway because we have to face it and not flee from it, these things will just add a personal touch to Christmas.

No comments: