Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Simple Homemade Recipes - Cream of Chicken Powder Mix

I had a dear lady ask for the recipe for the 'cream of chicken soup powder' I mentioned in my earlier post. First I have to say that the reason for coming up with the recipe is because we cannot tolerate MSG in our home, it does very strange things to us so we stay away from it as we can. Since Campbells had MSG in every soup they made, I had to come up with a different way to have cream of soup because we use it in not just casseroles but other recipes as well. This recipe was one I found and then tweaked it a lot to fit our needs and I have it down pat now, this is actually better than that chunky blob you get in the cans, in my opinion :O)
I do have to specify that I use Watkins chicken soup and gravy mix.

This chicken soup base is gluten and msg free, there are other ingredients in it that I prefer to do without but this is the best powdered chicken soup base I could find. I actually use so much of it that I became a Watkins associate simply for the discount I get when I order it, of course I also love alot of their other products and use them also, I love the made in USA and their natural way of making things and you have to love a company that's been around as long as they have.
I truly have never made a sale for the company, it just saves us a lot to be associates and get the discount for our own products, turns out a lot of people do this and the company is just fine with it. If you go to their website www.watkinsonline.com you can find out what all is in the soup base, they have a full list.
Now to the recipe:

Our Simple Cream of Chicken Soup Mix
(mix makes the equivalent to appr. 9-10 cans)
2 c powdered/dry milk
3/4 c cornstarch
1/4 c chicken stock powder
2 T dried onion flakes
1 t dried thyme
1/2 t basil
1/2 t oregano
1/2 t marjoram
1/2 t pepper

Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container.
To use: Mix 1/2 c dry soup mix with 1 1/4 c water, whisk while heating until thick, add 1 T butter. It is now ready to use as you would out of the can.

If desired you can make this cream of:
mushroom - add sauteed mushrooms when you add the butter
celery - add slighty sauteed celery when you add the butter

We use this for quite a few recipes and the soup base itself is perfect for making soups, we use it in our cheeseburger soup, potato, southern greens soup and many more!

No comments: