Thursday, March 19, 2009

Simple Homemade Recipes - Knorr Soup Mix

Once again in my quest to cut out packaged foods etc. from the grocery and because the Knorr mix has some questionable items in it I was forced to come up with my own. I found the initial copycat recipe online but tweaked it a bit. I have some scratch soup recipes that called for this Knorr soup mix and I really found that they needed this soup mix in them for the flavor and texture, so I had to make it work for us. In addition you can make up a large batch and it will be there whenever you need as opposed to a packet size, this is much more cost friendly.

Homestead Knorr Soup Mix Powder

1 c vegetable flakes
2 T wheat germ
1/4 c dried pasta - cracked into small bits
3/4 t dried parsley
3/4 t dried sweet basil
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1/4 t garlic powder
1/4 t onion powder

Mix together in bowl. Use as you would the packaged soup mix. I store ours in a qt mason jar and it keeps for at least 1 year.

I couldn't find the dried veggie flakes at the grocery store so I ordered them online from www.spicebarn.com. Theirs are great because it's all natural.

No comments: