Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Simple Homemade Recipes - HVR Powder




I have been making Hidden Valley Ranch cheese puffs for many years, I always make them on Christmas day to take to our families homes and everybody loves them. Sadly, the HVR powder mix in the stores has MSG (and some other questionable items) so I learned to make my own years ago and it is what I've used for years. No one ever noticed a difference when I switched to this, of course you can also use it to make salad dressing but the cheese puffs were the initial reason I had to make it up.

Homemade HVR Powder

14 saltine crackers
2 c dry parsley flakes
1/2 c dry minced onion
2 1/2 T dry dill week
1/2 c each of:
onion salt
garlic salt
onion powder
garlic powder

Put crackers in blender or food processor until they become powder
Add parsley, minced onions and dill weed, blend again until powder
Put in a bowl and stir in rest of ingredients.
I store mine in a pint size mason jar and have kept it for almost 2 years
and it still works perfectly.

A recipe I found online for salad dressing, I haven't tried it:
1 T mix
1 cup mayo
1 c buttermilk
Makes 1 pint salad dressing.

No comments: